Samsung today announced the launch of two eco-friendly Android devices for Sprint and Virgin Mobile US customers in United States. Dubbed as Samsung Replenish, and Samsung Restore, these phones will be available soon in the market; more details later in the report.
Why is Samsung Replenish eco-friendly?
- Reduced environmentally sensitive materials
- Energy efficient, with a charger that meets the EC Code of Conduct on Energy Efficiency of External Power Supplies
- Casing includes 34.6 percent post-consumer recycled plastic content and 82 percent of the device is made from recyclable materials
- Fully recyclable packaging that incorporates 80 percent post-consumer waste material and uses soy inks
- Includes a postage-paid envelope to recycle your old phone
Why is Samsung Restore eco-friendly?
- The phone casing contains 27 percent post-consumer recycled plastics and the handset as a whole is 83 percent recyclable. The device meets strict RoHS3 standards and only has low levels of environmentally sensitive materials.
- Restore will launch in new handset packaging that is also more eco-friendly. The green packaging is now composed of 100% recycled plastic and uses almost 50% less plastic than prior packaging.
Samsung Replenish features a candy-bar design with a QWERTY keyboard below the display. It comes with Android 2.2 on-board, Sprint ID Pack integration, 2 megapixel camera, WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth. Other specifications of the smartphone include 600 MHz single core processor, 2.8 inch display with 240X320 pixel resolution, 256 MB RAM inside and a 1160 mAh battery.
Samsung Restore comes with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, Android 2.2, 2.0 MP camera and camcorder, and 1140 mAh battery.
Pricing and Availability:
Samsung Replenish will be available starting May 8 at just $49.99 with a two-year service agreement and new-line activation or eligible upgrade. Sprint is also waiving the $10 monthly premium data add-on charge for Samsung Replenish.
Samsung Restore will cost just $79.99 (taxes and surcharges excluded) with no annual contract and will be available from Virgin Mobile USA beginning on April 18.
Scope in countries like India for Samsung Replenish/Restore:
I would say that there is a lot of scope of eco-friendly phones like Samsung Replenish in countries like India, the price is right and it comes with Android. Added solar charging accessory is huge advantage, while on one hand it will help in reducing power consumption [not much but still], on the other hand it will be a huge help in areas with frequent and long power cuts.
Looks and hardware-wise Samsung Replenish is decent and it one is not looking for super-phone, Replenish is a great choice for going the green-way.