Microsoft’s Xbox SmartGlass app for Android has reached Google Play earlier than expected. Available as a free download, the app works with most Android devices with Ice Cream Sandwich or higher with WVGA display resolution or more.
For those of you not familiar with SmartGlass, “Xbox SmartGlass turns your mobile phone or tablet into a second screen that interacts with your Xbox 360 to elevate your entertainment experience. Xbox SmartGlass allows for your devices and TV to talk to each other to enhance your favorite TV shows, movies, music, sports and games,” states Microsoft on its website.
You can use SmartGlass for Android to navigate the Xbox dashboard, pause and rewind movies, swipe, pinch, and tap to surf the web on your TV, and use your device’s keyboard for easy text input and search on your console.
“With Xbox SmartGlass, we are lighting up entertainment across your phone, tablet, PC and TV in a completely new way. If you love to play games, watch TV and movies, surf the Web, or listen to music, there has never been a better time to be on Xbox,” Microsoft noted in a press release.
SmartGlass for Android features:
- Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
- Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
- Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
- Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
- Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
- Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
- Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
- Change up your 3D avatar
- Message your Xbox friends
- Edit your Xbox profile