As expected, Sony today introduced its third-generation SmartWatch at Mobile Asia Expo. This Android-compatible smart watch acts as the second screen for your smartphone and enhances the phone functionality.
“Sony is the proud leader in the smartwatch market since introducing our first Bluetooth watch in 2007,” says Stefan K Persson, Head of Companion Products at Sony Mobile Communications.
“Competitors are only now launching first generation devices, while we are already launching a 3rd generation device with all the insight gained from over half a million customers combined with Sony’s wealth of technology expertise to create the best ever smartwatch experience.”
Sony SmartWatch 2 will be available worldwide from September 2013. Pricing still remains a mystery but we expect it to be around $130-$150.
Sony Smartwatch 2 functions
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Access notifications from your wrist such as messages, calls, email, Facebook/Twitter, Calendar
- Use it as a remote for your Walkman or other digital media player.
- According to Sony, SmartWatch 2 can be personalised with any standard 24mm wristband and new Sony watchstraps will soon be available.
Sony SmartWatch 2 features
- Sunlight readable
- Water-resistant (IP57)
- NFC pairing and connecting
- Micro USB for charging
- User interface similar to Android UI
- 1.6 inch Transflective LCD with 220 x 176 pixels
- Aluminium body and stainless steel wristband
- Works with most Android phones
- Bluetooth 3.0