Acer has announced a new phablet in its Liquid-series today. Dubbed as Liquid S2, the device will join Acer’s already available Liquid S1 phablet, which will announced back in June, 2013.
Acer Liquid S2 sports a 6-inch full HD display and is powered by 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. In addition, the device packs a 13MP auto-focus rear camera, which can record videos in 4K resolution. Among other specs, the Liquid S2 comes with 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, Android 4.2.2, LTE and 3300 mAh battery.
These are some really impressive specifications but given the huge display on-board, we don’t think the phone is going to have much uptake. It will be directly competing with Sony’s Xperia Z Ultra, which comes with similar features but cannot record 4K resolution videos.
“The real beauty of the smartphone is its iconic soft round curves and red elements for the receiver mesh and metallic ring highlighting the four LED ring flash for low light and macro capturing. The curved glass surface keeps a soft touch and “edgeless” feeling around the rim,” Acer noted in a press release.
On the software front, Acer has included its Float UI on the device, which allows users to open several app windows at the same time. It seems like a more-featured version of Samsung’s multi-window function.
According to a press release issued by the company, Acer Liquid S2 will be available beginning October in select market. Pricing will be announced on a later date.
Acer Liquid S2 key specifications
- Display: 6-inch, full HD (1,920 x 1,080), 368 PPI, IPS
- Rear camera: 13MP auto-focus, f2.2, 28 mm lens, BSI sensor, LED ring flash, 4K video
- Front camera: 2MP, f2.2, 24 mm lens, 88° wide angle, BSI sensor, 1080p video
- Processor: 2.2 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800
- Storage / RAM: 16 GB / 2 GB
- Battery: 3300 mAh, non-replaceable Li-polymer battery
- Dimensions: 166 x 86 x 8.99 mm,
- Network: 4G: 800/1800/2600 3G: 900/2100 2G: 850/900/1800/1900
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11ac/a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS+GLONASS, NFC
- Sensors: Light sensor, accelerometer, proximity sensor, digital compass, gyro
- Operating system: Android 4.2.2
- Acer features: Acer Float UI, Acer HD Channel, Acer Docs and Acer Remote Files, Acer Data Traffic Manager, Acer Float Caller, Acer Float Apps (maps/notes/camera/calculator), Acer Live Screen, Acer Print, Acer Easy hotspot
- Additional pre-loaded apps/ features: Skitch, YouTube, Moodagent, Polaris Office, Swype text input, Google Keep, Evernote, wireless display, Dolby Digital Plus