Amazon today announced its next-generation Kindle Fire HDX tablets. To be available in 7-inch and 8.9-inch display sizes like their predecessors, Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets pack some impressive specifications.
The company is also introducing its new and revamped operating system, which goes by codename Mojito. The base of the operating system is still Android, version 4.2 to be exact.
According to Amazon, both Kindle Fire HDX tablets are now available on pre-order. The company is offering both Wi-Fi only and LTE versions of its tablets. For the release of LTE versions in US, the company has partnered with Verizon and AT&T.
Talking about the tablets, both tablets are powered by 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor and feature 2GB of RAM, front camera (8MP rear camera in 8.9-inch tablet), and dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio. On the display front, the 7-inch tablet comes with 1920x1200p resolution display and 8.9-inch tablet comes with 2560x1600p. Amazon is offering both tablets in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB internal storage options.
Like the previous version, the tablets still come with “Special offers” advertisements. You can however pay $15 extra to get them removed.
“It’s been just two years since we introduced the first Kindle Fire, and the team is innovating at an unbelievable speed,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “2.2 GHz processor, 339 ppi display, new 34% lighter design, Fire OS 3.0, and new exclusive features like the Mayday button, X-Ray for Music, Second Screen, and Prime Instant Video downloads. We’ve worked hard to pack this much hardware, innovation, and customer obsession into these prices.”
Amazon Kindle Fire HDX features
- Fire OS 3.0 “Mojito” with hundreds of new and upgraded features, platform updates, and Amazon-exclusive services like X-Ray for Music, Cloud Collections, Goodreads, and more.
- New Mayday button delivers live tech support—one touch connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature—24×7, 365 days a year, and it’s free. 15 seconds or less is the Mayday response time goal.
- Up to 11 hours of battery life on mixed use and 17 hours of reading.
- Updated email, calendar, and Silk browser to stay connected and productive.
- New enterprise features including hardware and software-encryption, Kerberos Intranet, secure Wi-Fi connections, VPN integration, and wireless printing.
- Best video experience on a tablet with new Amazon-exclusive features like Prime Instant Video downloads, Second Screen, and expanded X-Ray for Movies and TV.
- New Origami covers feature an innovative design that allows you to position Fire HDX in both portrait and landscape.
Pricing and Availability:
The Wi-FI version of 7” Kindle Fire HDX costs $229 and will begin shipping on October 18. The 4G version is $329, which will be available on November 14.
On the other hand, the Wi-Fi version of 8.9” Kindle Fire HDX has been priced at $379 and will begin shipping on November 7. The 4G version is $479 and will go on sale starting December 10.