Update: Sygic has now officially confirmed that its navigation app is going free on Google Play.
“By making our advanced navigation app available to millions of users for free, Sygic is helping countries like India become a safer, more enjoyable place to travel,” said Sygic CEO Michal Štencl.
Earlier (Sep 21): After multiple price-cuts, Sygic seems to have decided to offer its Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS app free on Google Play. From what I can remember, the app used to be priced at INR 1,399 originally and then the company reduced the price to INR 199 around June 2013 and now you can get it for free on Google Play.
As the app description does not state anything about the app going free, it could turn out to be bug or some other issue, which might have led to the app being available for free. We have seen such situations in the past too, so grab the app while you can.
It is also possible that the company might be planning to opt for another monetisation method as it is hard to sell navigation apps for a hefty price-tag given the availability of Google Maps with Navigation for free in the Indian market.
While most of the feature set between Google Maps and Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS is similar, Sygic maps do offer a big advantage over Google in the form of offline availability. Once you have downloaded the app and required maps, you don’t need data access for basic navigation and search.
Here is a look at the key features of Sygic & MapmyIndia: GPS Android app
- Works with GPS only, internet is not needed
- Turn-by-Turn voice guided navigation
- Drag & Drop for simple route editing
- Alternative Routes to choose from
- Waypoints for places you want to visit
- Dynamic Lane Guidance to know the right lane
- Speed Limit Display
- Free map updates
- 3D Cities & Landscape for easy orientation
- Traffic from MapmyIndia to save your time
- Pedestrian Navigation to walk and explore
- Compass & Stopwatch for outdoor activities
- Road Incident Sharing with other drivers
- SOS/Help to find assistance nearby
- Sidebar for tablets, more info about your drive
- Car Audio Integration – Bluetooth or cable