HTC today revealed its third quarter earnings and as expected, the company is in loss. It posted a quarterly net loss of about $101 million on revenue of about $1.6 billion. The total operating loss was about $119 million.
This is the first operating loss for the company since it went public in 2002.
Key financial details
- Total revenues: NT$47.05 billion (US$1.6 billion)
- Unaudited operating loss: NT$3.50 billion (US$119 million)
- Net loss before tax: NT$2.97 billion (US$101 million)
- Net loss after tax: NT$2.97 billion (US$101 million)
- Unaudited earnings per share after tax: -NT$3.58 based on 830,403 thousand weighted average number of shares
On the other hand, Samsung is anticipating record quarter earnings with expected operating profit of 10.1 trillion won (US$9.4 billion). These are expected numbers but traditionally Samsung has been quite accurate with estimates. The final numbers will be revealed later this month.
The company is crediting the record profits to huge sales of Galaxy smartphones, which reached 85 million units in Q3, 2013.
Note: Samsung’s earnings include all of its businesses, not just mobile.