Just hours after we reported that Android 4.4 KitKat was set to arrive for Verizon Wireless Moto X consumers, the update is now officially available. According to a blog post by Motorola, the KitKat update for Verizon Moto X starts today and will be released in phases.
The update will be available over-the-air and Moto X users will automatically get a notification to update their smartphone. To manually check for the update, head over to Settings << About Phone << System Updates on your Moto X.
To remind you, Verizon Moto X is the first non-Nexus Android smartphone to get the Android 4.4 update.
Verizon Moto X Android 4.4 update change-log
- An improved phone dialer: Now you can search for contacts directly from the dial-pad and easily see and tap on those you contact frequently.
- More gallery goodies: KitKat packs in some cool, new gallery effects—such as Posterize, Highlights, and Edges. You can even use the Draw feature to annotate your photos freehand with your finger.
- New Hangouts app: All of your conversations now in one place—texts, video calls, and other chats all together in one app. Plus, you can now send animated gifs and share your location.
- Color emojis: For when words aren’t enough, the Google Keyboard now includes colorful characters to send in text messages and other communications.
- Drag to focus and expose: An updated camera app lets you control both the focus and exposure of your photos. Simply drag your finger to set just the right exposure and focus point.
- And more: Restyled status and navigation bars, new full-screen mode, and enhancements to Motorola features like Touchless Control.
Motorola has also revealed that it will soon be sharing more news on updates for other Moto X variants.